June 16, 2008

I got the Blues

So here I sit, in my empty echoing room, packing my suitcases and listening to the blues. Lyon feels my mindset right now. The weather is bluesy. It's a soggy shade of gray outside, like someone used photoshop on the world, fading all of the colors, likening it to an old photograph found at a yardsale. I can see the water droplets floating in the air. It's all very appropriate. I'm not, sad, per say, its all just bluesy.

I don't want to pack my suitcase. Almost all of my friends have gone. I've had to get ride of nearly half of my clothes. I gave away my cacti, which I loved like pets, by the way. I'm getting ready to leave this place, probably for good, in a couple days. I know Lyon and I have had our problems but that doesn't mean I'm happy to see it go. I had a pretty good set-up here. A great apartment, a tightly knit circle of friends growing closer and closer by the day, a great market with all of the fresh veggies, fruits, cheeses and meats you could want one minute from my front door, enough money to buy and eat that food, a great job and no other real obligations. I had this city smack in the palm of my hand. I'm not happy to leave but I'm not going to cry either. I just have the blues.

Further, its hard to be sad when I'm about to embark on the hugest roadtrip/adventure of my life (so far!). On Thursday, my dad and I are going to Morocco, then Madrid, then Berlin, then Greece, then Croatia, then Venice, then back to Florida. Then a mere 4 days of being back in the USA, it's off to the Bahamas I go. So, its hard to be truly sad when you're looking at something like that. I'm a lucky lucky girl.

And thats all I can really say. I'm not going to write some cliché sappy graduation blog. I can't really sum up my experience in a blog post. I made friend. I learned French. I made my mistakes and I learned my lessons. I discovered what I had been taking for granted. I grew a year wiser. I have some scars. I saw some of the world. I got a taste for real live train traveling. I gained 5 pounds. I learned how to play the ukulele. I took some amazing pictures. I got focused while simultaneously un-planning the next 5 years of my life. I'm sure I have changed in many ways but I can't really pin down what they are. I guess you'll have to be the judge of that.

See you soon,
Ruby

No comments: