October 14, 2008

Bonafide Art Student

This is what I did today:
First I woke up at 11:00 because Monday is my only day to actually sleep in and after the weekend I just had, I needed it. So I woke up, showered, ate a grapefruit and walked to class with my friend, Scott. While he went to some international accounting business hoohaa class, I strolled though the fall breeze, stepping on crunchy leaves and breathing the fresh, crisp air all the way to the fine arts studios where I had three hours of Metalsmithing. I soldered some copper together and did a bunch of sanding, handled torches and files and sketched out the utensils I will be making in our next class. I stayed late because I wanted to finish my soldering sample project that day. Then I walked back through that wonderful fall air until I bumped into some friends on the lawn. I got a sandwich with Braden and Andrew and then went back home. My day was not done...oh no.

I proceeded to my friend Karyn's house. She was going to lend me her digital camera for my Product Design project, due Thursday. I have to get it done now because I have so much work to do this week and this is a time consuming project. You see, as Product Design students, we must perform competitive product test and observe things in their natural environments. In this case, I was testing cars. The interior spaces of cars. So with Karyn's camera in hand, I drove my 1990 Acura to the nearest BMW dealership. I walked into the showroom, explained myself and took pictures of my backback inside of 5 different cars. The assignment was to photo document the interior space of a NEW car (ie: at a dealership) and where a student would store his/her bag during a commute. I thought, "hey, if I'm going to have to go look at cars, they might as well be hell of nice ones." The KIA dealership was across the street so I went over there and took 2 pictures. They were playing "Hot Stuff" in the showroom and it smelled like old candy so I bolted as soon as I was done snapping the last shot. Then I proceeded to the Dodge dealership because I wanted to sit inside some big. ass. trucks.
And I did! Out of all of the cars I went inside, the car with the best storage space for a student's backpack was the: 2008 Dodge 1 Ton MEGATON Diesel truck (read: MAN! I AM A MAN!!! MEAT AND FOOTBALL!!! MUD!!!)

Then, I was starving. So I went home, Claire and I ate a delicious meal of Salmon and sautéed Zuccinni. Then, I had to work on a wire sculpture but I really wanted to zone out to a movie...so I went to Lindsay's and did both! My hands are now raw and cut up but my giant jellyfish lamp for my 3D design class is nearly complete. (On a sidenote...chicken wire is VICIOUS...)

Now I am home...and I have to wake up for my BUSY day in about 6.5 hours.

I am not complaining in the slightest BTW...while you business majors and poli sci majors add things and write papers, I get to do art projects all day. I go to college!

May you dream in color tonight...
Love,
Ruby

No comments: