January 5, 2011

Studio Project: Digitize a musical instrument. I have my own issues about this assignment but I am trying to put them behind me so that I can focus on the task at hand.

I learned more today than I have in a very long time. I spent most of the day in my living room, at music stores, at a coffee shop and the library researching. I learned about soundwaves and the science of sound, the history of the Moog(symthesizer), and about a vast array of instruments from the violin to the Tharamin. Here are a few cool videos:

The Musical Saw:


The Theremin:


Digital Guitar


and The Glass Armonica:



But I will leave you with this:


-Rubes

1 comment:

Michelle said...

The sounds of all these instruments is kind of similar. There is a festival dedicated to the musical saw - www.MusicalSawFestival.org At one point they had 55 people playing saws together - can you imagine the sound? There's a video of that on the festival's website.